Benefits of Biodiesel:
- Biodiesel is cleaner-burning than petroleum diesel. Replacing petroleum diesel with biodiesel improves air quality by reducing emissions of particulate matter, unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. It also smells better! Please see the National Biodiesel Board's
Emissions Fact Sheet for more information.
- Biodiesel is a renewable fuel source, because it can be made from a variety of different plants and waste products. Petroleum diesel, by contrast, is made from fossil fuels, which take millions of years to form and are inherently limited in supply.
- Biodiesel has a closed carbon lifecycle. The plants used to produce biodiesel absorb carbon from the air when the grow, and only that same carbon output is released when it is burned, producing no net carbon increase. Fossil fuel diesel, by contrast, releases carbon into the atmosphere that has been trapped deep in the Earth's crust for millions of years, amounting to a net carbon gain that contributes to global warming.
- Biodiesel can be a sustainable energy source if it is made from recycled oils or local feedstocks that use good farming practices, and is produced and used locally. Dogpatch Biofuels only sells biodiesel from sustainable sources.
- Sustainable biodiesel production can help support America's farmers, and improve farming practices, by providing a valuable market for good rotation crops such as canola. By encouraging rotation farming to replenish the soil between growing seasons of conventional crops, the biodiesel market can help reduce the use of harmful chemical fertilizers, without sacrificing profits for local agriculture.
- Biodiesel is non-toxic, produces no harmful fumes, and biodegrades much faster than petroleum fuel products, making it safer to transport, store, handle and dispense.
- Biodiesel may improve engine lubricity and reduce engine wear and tear. This is because biodiesel is both a solvent, which breaks up and removes dirt and other deposits-- and a lubricant, which reduces friction between moving parts.
- Biodiesel is a non-flammable Class III B liquid, having a flash point on par with vegetable oil. It is much less volatile than conventional diesel, making it safer to store and transport.